The Mount Waddington Family Literacy Society works with communities, schools and organizations to support literacy and learning on North Vancouver Island. Learn more
March is Canadian Agriculture Literacy Month!
Subscribe to the New Mother Goose YouTube Channel for Virtual Storytelling!
Read our Impact Stories about the literacy programs, projects and events that impact our North Vancouver Island communities thanks to funders, sponsors and personal donations from people like you who support the Mount Waddington Family Literacy Society.
- Inquiries about current programs?
- Knowledge of literacy needs in your community?
- Ideas for literacy projects or programs?
- Want to volunteer or donate services or funding?
Thanks to our supporters, from July 2019-July 2020 we collaborated with more than 60 organizations to:
- coordinate two reading programs for 512 children at six local elementary schools;
- distribute 1055 books;
- provide leadership and support to Loaves and Fishes food banks and for Neighbourhood Small Grants;
- coordinate Family Literacy Week 2020 soup-making events;
- hold regular Mother Goose storytelling sessions at libraries, the Infant Development Program, Promising Babies, StrongStart, North Island Building Blocks and Sacred Wolf Friendship Centre – attended by 1771 local children;
- provide Kwak’wala Mother Goose training for 10 people in Indigenous community roles;
- help launch the Food for Thought program;
- hold a Port McNeill Literacy Fair
- hold a Books Rock event for Literacy Month 2019.
Later in 2020, we’ve prioritized food security and food literacy, moved tutoring online, collaborated with North Island College on a tuition-free education assistant program, and will beta-test a new digital literacy program for displaced workers in 2021.